Keep calories in check over this long holiday weekend with tasty and nutritious recipes from Dr. Weil’s Fast Food, Good Food. Here are three guilt-free hors d’oeuvres that your guests will love!
Curry Deviled Eggs (Serves 4, vegetarian, gluten-free)
4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 ½ teaspoons lime juice
¼ teaspoon curry powder
¼ teaspoon sea salt
2 pinches of cayenne pepper
- Cut the eggs in half lengthwise. Put the yolks in a small bowl and set the whites on a plate.
- Mash together the yolks with the mayonnaise, lime juice, curry powder, salt and cayenne and mix until smooth.
- Evenly disperse heaping teaspoons of the mixture into the egg-white cups. Garnish with a pickled onion or two.
Buffalo Mozzarella Bruschetta (Serves 8, vegetarian)
8 large slices country-style Italian bread
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, pressed and allowed to sit for 10 minutes
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
¾ cup sliced fresh basil
1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
12 ounces buffalo mozzarella, torn into bite-size pieces
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Brush the slices of bread liberally with olive oil and grill or toast until crisp and lightly browned.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a bowl and let sit for about 5 minutes so the flavors meld.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning, adding more salt or pepper if needed. Spoon the mixture over the toasted bread and serve.
Guacamole (Serves 4 to 6, vegetarian, gluten-free)
4 large ripe avocados, preferably Hass
1 tablespoon lime juice, or more to taste
½ teaspoon sea salt
1 small red or white onion, finely chopped
¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1 serrano chili, finely chopped (seeded for less heat)
- Cut the avocados in half, remove the pits, and scoop the flesh out into a large bowl. Season with 1 tablespoon of the lime juice and the salt, and mash the flesh roughly with a fork.
- Fold in the remaining ingredients. Taste and adjust with more salt and lime juice, if necessary. Serve with white, red, or blue tortilla chips or with sliced raw vegetables such as carrots, radishes, celery or cucumber.