Have you thought about wearing orthopedic shoes but aren’t quite sure they’re right for you? You’re not alone! When most people think of orthopedic shoes, the image that comes to mind is not the fashion-forward styles you’re looking for in all facets of your life.
So, to help you with your shoe shopping, we’re here to educate you on the best orthopedic shoes and show you that there is much more to orthopedic women’s shoes than the styles you may think. We’ll introduce you to our top picks for orthopedic shoes for women and enlighten you about the difference wearing orthopedic shoes can make in your life.
Orthopedic shoes are no longer limited to clunky, unattractive athletic shoes. Now you can find everything from orthopedic high heels to orthopedic slippers to orthopedic sandals for women. Whether you suffer from plantar fasciitis, knee pain, or any other type of foot condition, anyone can benefit from switching over to orthopedic shoes.
At Vionic, we want to connect you with the information you need to make an informed decision about whether or not orthopedic shoes are right for you and provide you with the tools you need to choose a pair that will fit your feet properly and give you the support you need.
But our aim isn’t simply to educate you on the best orthopedic shoes for women— we also want to connect you with supportive shoes that can change your life. Our team of shoe stylist, podiatrists, and researchers work together to create footwear that elevates your wardrobe while providing your feet with the support and cushioning for long-lasting, all day comfort.
If you’ve got questions about orthopedic shoes and whether they’re right for you, we’ve got the answers you’re looking for. We’ll educate you on what orthopedic shoes are, the benefits of wearing orthopedic shoes, different styles of orthopedic shoes, and our top picks for the best orthopedic shoes for women.
HOLD ON.. WHAT EXACTLY ARE ORTHOPEDIC SHOES?
Before we dive into the best orthopedic shoes for women, first let’s review exactly what orthopedic shoes are, one step at a time.
By now you must know that a pair of orthopedic shoes is different from a regular pair of womens shoes. But what exactly sets them apart? And who are orthopedic shoes suited for?
If you think that orthopedic shoes are for elderly individuals or people suffering from foot or medical problems, you’re not wrong. The elderly and people with foot conditions like plantar fasciitis or Achielles’ tendonitis are the perfect candidates for a pair of orthopedic shoes.
But they aren’t the only ones who can benefit. The truth is, orthopedic shoes are ideal for everyone, regardless of age, medical history, or whether or not you’re currently experiencing foot pain or discomfort.
This is because orthopedic shoes are specifically designed to support the natural mechanics and structure of the foot, ankle, and leg. Orthopedic shoes are especially helpful for those who have existing foot conditions or poor foot mechanics that make their feet susceptible to developing foot problems, but wearing them can also help prevent those conditions.
Before we dive into what orthopedic shoes are, let’s break down exactly what the word orthopedic means. The first part of the word, “ortho,” is a Greek word that means “correct” or “root.” The second part of the word, “pedic” means “foot.” When they’re put together, the literal translation is close to “correct feet” or “right feet.” This meaning is integral to the core purpose of orthopedic shoes—their purpose is to help you achieve and maintain a healthy, natural gait.
Orthopedic shoes are designed to foster the natural alignment of your body from the feet up and to provide your feet with the cushion and support they need to function as smoothly as possible without strain. There are a number of different design features that set orthopedic shoes women apart from your stand-by cross trainers or everyday loafers. Vionic offers a range of stylish orthopedic shoes with a number of features that your regular footwear just doesn’t have, including:
- Podiatrist-developed, extensively researched orthotic elevated technology
- Biomechanical footbed that promotes natural alignment from the soles of your feet up and provides unparalleled support
- A deep heel cup that promotes essential stability
- A firm yet flexible midsole that optimizes your balance
- Substantial arch support that keeps your foot aligned with your ankle and knee while also alleviating excessive strain from pressure on the arch of your foot
- Around the clock comfort and support
These features are unique to Vionic’s orthopedic shoes and give you a glimpse into the Vionic difference.
Now that you know what orthopedic shoes are and who they are suited for, we’ll walk you through some of the remarkable benefits of wearing orthopedic shoes.
THE BENEFITS OF WEARING ORTHOPEDIC SHOES
When you think about the benefits of wearing supportive shoes, what comes to mind? Many people are unaware of how making the change to orthopedic shoes can improve not only your gait, but your entire well-being.
We’re trying to change that by offering insight into the benefits of wearing orthopedic shoes. Below are a few of the top benefits of wearing orthopedic shoes.
- Orthopedic shoes provide unparalleled support.
- Orthopedic shoes can increase mobility for some individuals.
- Orthopedic shoes can help diminish foot pain and alleviate the symptoms of common foot ailments.
- Orthopedic shoes can help boost blood flow and improve circulation.
- Orthopedic shoes can make you feel true comfort.
Orthopedic shoes are replete with benefits that could help improve your life and keep you feeling comfortable no matter how long you stand on your feet. If you are someone who suffers from frequent heel pain or plantar fasciitis, a comfortable shoe is going to be what gets you through your busy week.
That said, you may be wondering, will I be able to find the styles of shoes I love in orthopedic shoes? The answer is yes! At Vionic, we believe you should never have to choose between support and style—instead, you can have both!
FINDING YOUR AESTHETIC: POPULAR STYLES OF ORTHOPEDIC SHOES
Just like arch support shoes are not limited to those with a foot problem or the elderly, orthopedic shoes don’t come exclusively in athletic shoe styles. Still, we know it can feel like the orthopedic industry doesn’t consider fashion when they’re designing the shoes you need to protect your feet. But a Vionic, we’re building our business around changing that dynamic so that you can get the supportive technology and infrastructure your feet need without sacrificing the fashion-forward styles you’re looking for.
Whether you are shopping for work boots, dress shoes, or even a pair of stylish flats, you can find it all with Vionic. Below are a handful of popular styles of orthopedic shoes that you can add to your wardrobe.
- Sandals: Comfortable sandals with support?! That’s right! We have tons of different sandal styles to choose from that don’t skimp on the supportive features, from heeled and platform styles to flat sandals for women.
- Heels and Wedges: Whoever said beauty is pain hasn’t walked a mile in Vionic! We have many different innovative styles of heels for women and wedges to choose from that are perfect for everything from weddings to work.
- Flats and Loafers: Have you ever worn a pair of cute flats or loafers all day only to wake up the next morning with aching feet it takes days to soothe? You’re not alone. Unfortunately, that’s one of the risks of wearing shoes that don’t give your feet the proper amount of arch support. That’s why we created women’s flat shoes with built-in orthotics that provide effortless arch support to slip into all day long.
- Boots and Booties: During the colder months, nothing is better than slipping on a pair of boots to cover your feet and keep your outfit looking fierce. But you still arch support and cushioning for true comfort—something many boots and booties aren’t able to provide. Vionic’s fashion-forward and classic boots and booties offer the support you need and the style you crave.
- Casual Sneakers: Looking for a comfortable casual shoe? Vionic’s women’s casual sneakers are perfect for on-the-go casual looks. Combining versatile athleisure style with the underfoot feel of our supportive Orthaheel Technology, they deliver a comfortable, supportive athleisure shoe.
- Active Sneakers: Do you love taking long walks to soak up the outdoors and get a little exercise? We do, too! Our comfortable women’s walking shoes, sneakers and tennis shoes are athletic shoes that move you to keep going. Our podiatrist-designed Vionic orthotic walking shoes will give you comfort with every step, ensuring you never have to put your adventures on pause because of sore, aching feet.
- Slippers: You might not think of it but proper support is important even in the house shoes and slippers you wear when you’re at home. That’s why we created women’s slippers and the home flip flop with arch support so you don’t have to give up Viconic’s orthafeel technology when you enter your front door. Day or night, when you’re lounging around the house, you can slip into something more comfortable with built-in arch support.
Viconic’s wide-ranging collection of orthopedic shoes has you covered for every scenario! Whether you’re going to a business casual dinner, a formal wedding, or hanging out at home in your pajamas, we believe you deserve to be comfortable. And the key to achieving optimal comfort is through proper support and cushioning.
By now you’re an expert on orthopedic shoes, so we want to introduce you to a few of our picks for the best orthopedic shoes for women.
OUR TOP PICKS FOR ORTHOPEDIC SHOES FOR WOMEN
With so many fashionable athleisure shoes for women to choose from, it can be tough to narrow your search down to the styles that you’ll wear the most frequently and that will give you the right type of support for your feet. To help with your search for the best orthopedic shoes, we’ve compiled a list of some of our top picks for fashion-forward orthopedic shoes for women. Ready to boost your support and complement your outfit? Keep reading!
Amber Adjustable Sandal
If you’re looking for the perfect orthopedic sandal for everyday wear, look no further than the Amber Adjustable Sandal. The Amber combines sophistication and subtlety with its square enamel beads, four soft adjustable straps, a cork upper, and a soft microfiber covered footbed.
Get the support you need with the built-in Orthaheel technology, the Amber will hug your arches and support your feet with comfort. The lightweight and flexible EVA midsole will help reduce the stress to your feet, ankles, and knees by aiding in shock absorption. The durable rubber outsole helps provide you with traction on a variety of surfaces. The Amber comes in a number of classic and fun colors so you can choose what will fit your style best.
Fleur Heeled Sandal
Are you looking for the perfect classic block heel slip-on that will make you look polished and professional whether you’re at the office or happy hour with your favorite friends? The Fleur Heeled Sandal has a classic open-toe style and knit upper mold that perfectly hugs the shape of your foot. What’s more, our women’s knit shoes are biomechanically designed to follow your arches which will provide your feet with the support they need to be comfortable with every step you take.
The perfect pair of flat-style loafers is here in the form of the Willa Flat. Available in both boa print and suede, the Willa flat will make a graceful addition to your wardrobe and be a classic style for both at work and out with friends. Our Willa flat is designed using the Vio-Motion Technology to hug your arches and has a built-in orthotic that helps to support your natural alignment from the ground up.
Wear our Harper Boots everywhere, from the coffee shop to the conference room! Made with a weather-resistant upper in your choice of either suede or leather, an EVA-covered footbed, and wearable sturdy block heels, our Harper boots provide you with the support and comfort you need from a pair of classic boots with fashion-forward appeal.
Looking for the perfect athleisure sneaker to pair with yoga pants or jeans for a casual day out? The Elsa sneaker comes in nubuck with suede uppers and retro lace-ups, complementing this classic Viconic sneaker’s clean lines and sporty silhouette. Designed with a built-in EVA orthotic insert, the Elsa Vionic sneaker is biomechanically designed to make sure you stay comfortable and naturally aligned with every step.
With the Edin sneaker, you can keep your active lifestyle on track. Cool, eye-catching colors define this fashionable active shoe, made with mesh and man-made uppers with a suede pull tab for comfort. What’s more, this pair of sneakers features a durable rubber outsole to help facilitate buoyant movement.
Looking for maximum comfort during your next movie marathon? Kick your heels up in the Relax slippers.This pair features a plush terry cloth footbed in fun colors and a velcro adjustable upper for a flawless fit every time. Your foot will be encased in softness with an orthotic footbed built-in beneath it to reduce foot fatigue caused by hard, flat floors. Our Relax slippers have a flexible EVA midsole to absorb shock and built-in orthotic to provide unparalleled support, which is why these comfortable slippers received the American Podiatric Medical Association Seal of Acceptance.
At Vionic, we offer great arch support shoes in a variety of styles. Whether you go for summer flip flop, athletic shoes, active shoes, or women’s dress slides, you can find all of your favorite footwear styles but with the added bonus of built-in ankle and great arch support. At Vionic, our mission is to create supportive footwear that hugs your arches like a natural footprint and combines fashion-forward styles and high-quality materials to deliver superior support and comfort. Check out our orthopedic shoes to find your perfect fit!