Looking for outfit ideas for a laid-back look? Whether you’re gearing up for a weekend getaway or headed out to brunch, casual sporty outfits ensure you’re ready for anything. If you’re searching for a little fashion inspiration to help you reassess your wardrobe and reinvent your style with new pieces, you’ve come to the right place.
We’ve put together a fashion-forward list of casual sporty outfits for every occasion.
From tracksuits to bike shorts, we’re exploring timeless fits and the latest trends to help you find the right looks for your active and comfortable lifestyle. Plus, we’ll offer tips for feeling your best in any outfit. Read on to discover you’re great new look, and remember, the first rule of fashion is to have fun.
1. Head-to-Toe Athleisure
You’re probably wondering, what is athleisure? Functional and comfortable, athleisure is a 21st-century style that only continues to grow each year. What could be better than taking the performance fabrics used in activewear and matching them with the fit and comfort of your loungewear?
Staples of athleisure include:
- Joggers – Don’t call them sweatpants or track pants. These cushiony soft, flexible, and stylish pants are the biggest fashion development of the last 10 years. Of course, joggers have been around a lot longer than that, but since the early 2010s, they’ve officially ascended the thrown as the have-to-have-it athleisure wear.
- Yoga pants – As the fashion item that helped usher in the athleisure trend, yoga pants remain a tried and true way to remain comfortable and fashionable. Even if you don’t know downward dog from mountain pose, you can still rock a pair of yoga pants—whether you’re going for a run or picking up a few staples from the grocery store.
- Sneakers – Athleisure sneakers design can range from futuristic to vintage. You can go with a minimalist design or opt for bright and bold colors to make a statement with your shoes. There’s no definitive athleisure shoe, but we recommend choosing footwear that’s comfortable and supportive. You should feel like you’re walking on air from the gym to the office
Made with performance fabrics, athleisure apparel can make you look and feel relaxed. Match these picks with tanks, tees, or long-sleeve shirts in a similar material. If you go for high-waisted workout tights or leggings, consider a sports bra for a casual and cute athleisure look.
If the weather is cooling down, don’t forget about outerwear. A zip-up track jacket, hoodies, sweater, or even a leather jacket can look great on top of athleisure.
2. Oversized Tee and Leggings
Looking to cast an eye-catching silhouette? Don’t underestimate the power of an oversized graphic tee with leggings. The big on top and small on the bottom look can give a hip and modern feel to any outfit.
Oversized t-shirts are on-trend for men and women right now, and we’re here for it. Consider these tips for rocking the athleisure look:
- Dark leggings – While bright leggings can be striking and impressive, we’d recommend a more subtle choice. Opt for versatile dark hues like black, gray, or navy. Another option is biker shorts, which have become a go-to street style for women in recent years.
- Bold tees – Your t-shirt can be any color, pattern, or print you want, so why not go bold? Beat-up, vintage band T-shirts, hand-dipped tie-dyes, or even neon could make your outfit one of a kind. Just make sure it’s an oversized cut, not just a few sizes up from the size you usually wear. Oversized shirts tend to be shorter than regular tees and boxy rather than baggy.
With oversized shirts, you’ll want to make sure the rest of your clothes have a slim fit. In other words, we don’t recommend wearing baggy sweatpants with an oversized graphic tee because it can make the outfit look sloppy instead of intentional.
For your shoes, there are a couple of routes you can take. Comfortable sneakers or other supportive active shoes are excellent choices. That said, sporty, slide walking sandals can also pair nicely if the weather permits.
3. Sweatshirt and Running Tights
A cozier variation of the oversized tee and leggings look is a sweatshirt with running tights. Perfect for your morning jog or an evening by a roaring bonfire, this workout clothes fit is an undisputed classic.
To get the sporty-casual dress code just right, we suggest the following:
- Performance materials – Comfortable, durable, and downright flattering, performance tights are a premium choice for this look. Compression materials are great, and they can have a nice flattering sheen—just make sure you’re plenty comfortable and don’t feel too constricted.
- Layer up – Ensure you’re not sweating if the temp starts to heat up. We’d encourage a stretchy cami, compression tank, or a fitted cotton tee as a base layer. As for your sweatshirt, a fitted zip-up hoodie is a good choice, but we also like hoodless pullover sweatshirts in regular and oversized cuts.
As far as colors go, the possibilities are endless. All black can make for a chic and understated look, while neutrals can create a relaxed, earthy vibe. You could even sport the colors of your alma mater for a little school spirit.
As for your shoes, a pair of cute active sneakers are an excellent option. Casual slip-on sneakers or high-top bootie sneakers are also a solid choice.
4. T-Shirt and Jeans
Versatile and classic, jeans and t-shirts go together like peanut butter and jelly. When it comes to casual attire, jeans look good on everyone and pair impeccably with a perfectly fitted tee.
Today, your options for jeans are extensive and include:
Not to mention the variety of washes, colors, and detailing.
T-shirts are just as multifaceted, and we recommend exploring options like:
- The basic tee – Keep things minimalist with a solid color tee made from quality materials. White is the classic choice, but sage-green, beige, and mauve could elevate your look to the next level.
- Exercise tee – Sweat-wicking, breathable, and fitted, an athletic t-shirt can add bring a sporty flair to this look.
You can mix and match these outfits with tennis shoes or trainers. Squeaky-clean white sneakers can pair perfectly with a t-shirt and jeans sporty outfit.
5. Shorts and a Jacket
Make a statement with a smart-casual outfit designed for transitional seasons and unpredictable weather.
There are a lot of ways to explore this sporty style combo, and the following are just a few of our favorites:
- Denim shorts and vinyl jacket – Casual and rugged, denim shorts are a summer staple. To up the sportiness, pair them with a vinyl or nylon jacket.
- Bike shorts and corduroy jacket– Explore some comfy textures and fresh trends. Bike shorts bring the sportiness while a corduroy jacket can offer a casual-cool sporty vibe to this simple look.
- Running shorts and bomber jacket –With a modern throwback, this look offers a retro sporty vibe with a modern attitude. Explore cool tones or go all out with wild prints and colors.
Under the coat, we’d suggest a simple tank or a fitted tee. Of course, the possibilities for this style never really end. You may find yourself exploring different types of leather jackets, windbreakers, or even a raincoat with sporty shorts.
For footwear, we definitely recommend sneakers. If you wear sandals, you might look like you’re dressing for winter on top and summer from the waist down. To complete the look, throw on a baseball cap.
#6 Sports Wear
Show your love of the game by introducing some sportswear into your wardrobe. After all, professional athletes shouldn’t have all the fun.
Wondering how to take some style off the field and bring it into your outfits? Try on some of these options:
- Jerseys – Support your team and create a fresh look. No matter your sport of choice, jerseys can add an inspired addition to your wardrobe. We recommend pairing jerseys with tights or denim shorts to bring a casual angle to this sporty look.
- The tennis skirt – Even if you’re not out on the courts, the tennis skirt is a highly underrated garment. Not only is it cool, comfy, and sporty, but it’s a totally on-trend to the piece of the season.
These looks are easily paired with athletic sneakers or even chunkier boots. And don’t forget to accessorize with some sporty socks.
#7 Tracksuits, Sweatsuits
Simplicity can be a thing of beauty and what could be simpler than matching two-piece sets? The track and sweatsuit are a spirited way to stay casual while opting for a distinctive sporty look.
So what does it take to rock a full tracksuit? Besides confidence, we recommend the following:
- Pick your pattern – Houndstooth, plaid, stripe, or polka-dot, matching sets are an opportunity to explore unique patterns and designs. You’re guaranteed to match so you can feel free to explore adventurous prints.
- Try a looser fit – Tracksuits and sweatsuits should feel comfy and casual, which means you can give yourself a little breathing room. Don’t choose an oversized or baggy sweatsuit, just ensure there’s plenty of room for you to relax.
- Keep your shoes understated – The suit is the center of attention so keep your shoe game a little on the quiet side. Solid colors and minimalist designs are a smart pairing for this look.
Vionic: Smart Footwear for Every Look
Already planning your next look? Hopefully, these recommendations have inspired your imagination and sent you into the closet with a fresh perspective. Whichever ensemble you choose, Vionic has the stylish footwear to go with it.
We carry women’s and men’s casual sneakers and active footwear in a wide range of designs, colors, and materials. Best of all, every pair of Vionic shoes is made with our cutting-edge Vio-Motion Support technology. This means they have unmatched stability, arch support, and comfy cushioning, all of which are hidden within the design of the shoe.
Are you ready to start curating a sporty casual look that aligns with your personal vibe? Shop Vionic today.
- Business Insider. Sweatpants Are The Hottest New Trend In Menswear. https://www.businessinsider.com/jogger-pants-are-taking-over-menswear-2014-8
- Forbes. The Rise Of Athleisure In The Fashion Industry And What It Means For Brands. https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbescommunicationscouncil/2021/05/03/the-rise-of-athleisure-in-the-fashion-industry-and-what-it-means-for-brands/?sh=96335843ae0c