If you’ve discovered this blog, chances are you’re already familiar with the answer to the question, “What are combat boots?” Now, the million-dollar question is how to perfectly style them. When you think of combat boots, you may envision your favorite pop-punk star taking the stage or your local barista who seems to effortlessly add an edgy vibe to any ensemble. But what if you found out how to make these leather-clad boots a staple in your wardrobe?
In this article, we’ll walk you through techniques for styling combat boots, including essential tips for pairing them with outfits for any occasion, and highlight how versatile—and accessible—they really are.
Understanding Combat Boot Styles and Varieties
Fashion is a top priority, but we know it’s tough to strut your stuff if you’re uncomfortable.
Enter the combat boot. Whether you’re looking for comfortable footwear for your next night out or a boot with a platform heel, they may just become your next go-to look.
We may think of the classic combat boot as a piece of punk rock history, but its origins are actually linked to military use, which is why it features adjustable laces and a long boot shaft designed to protect soldiers’ ankles during battle. A far cry from the battlefield, you’ll now find combat boots on the pages of fashion magazines, offered in a variety of colors and styles, including:
- Classic combat boots – A tried-and-true punk favorite, classic combat boots feature a leather boot shaft, rubber soles, and eyelets lined with crossed shoelaces. Their flexible and durable nature makes them easy to wear whether you’re dancing at a concert, whipping up a cocktail behind the bar, or spending your workday on your feet.
- Platform combat boots – When you’re ready to make a sky-high statement, whip out a pair of platform combat boots. Available in styles that offer a little more height and options with some serious inches to them, you can elevate your look (and yourself) with these show-stopping kicks.
- Alternative material combat boots – Whether you’re a fan of sleek leather or soft suede, combat boots are now being designed in more diverse and sophisticated materials than rubber alone. From water-repellent styles to insulated, soft insides to keep warm during winter, combat boots are as versatile as ever.
Despite their rock ‘n roll vibe, combat boots can now be the focal point of any look, whether you’re into understated, chic ensembles, want to add an edge to your daily look, or maintain an earthy, bohemian wardrobe. With so many styles to choose from, it’s easy to find the perfect fit, allowing you to shop whether you prioritize comfort, style, or both.
Essential Tips for Pairing Combat Boots with Outfits
Finishing your look with a pair of stylish combat boots will have you feeling instantly cool, even if you’re just grabbing a cup of coffee. However, you may be wondering how to wear combat boots with the pieces you already have in your wardrobe.
As with any accessory, it’s important to remember a few key tips when pairing them with other items in your closet. If you’re wondering how to style combat boots, here are some pro tips for adding them to your look:
- Go maximalist – Since combat boots offer both style and functionality, don’t be afraid to add them to your look, no matter your style. If you have a classic, black combat boot, mix it up with a printed blouse or textured pair of corduroy slacks. If you’re looking to spruce up your look, opt for boots in a bold color or with some added height.
- Balance silhouettes – Combat boots can be the perfect way to add heft and shape to an otherwise slimmer ensemble. Their chunky flair makes them a great addition to slimmer pants, so you can even use them to elevate your go-to casual ensemble like leggings and a sweatshirt or oversized sweater.
- Juxtapose – If you’re a fan of skirts and dresses, combat boots are a must-have item in your closet, since they can make any feminine piece look a little more punk rock. Add them to a floral printed dress with a denim jacket for a soft-grunge vibe or pop on a platform pair with a skirt and tights for legs that look a mile long.
One of the best things about combat boots is how easy they are to style with other pieces in your wardrobe. If you’re still not sure what to wear with combat boots, you can’t go wrong throwing them on with a plain white tee, a pair of worn in-jeans, and your favorite leather (or pleather!) jacket.
Day-to-Night Transformation: Versatility in Combat Boot Styling
Wondering what to wear combat boots with? If you’re planning on going straight from the office to date night, you’ll want to make sure you wear your favorite pair of combat boots. In a few simple steps, you can take your look from day-to-night, to ensure you’re ready for any occasion.
From going behind your desk straight to happy hour, here are some tips for styling combat boots no matter where the day or night may lead:
Mix Silk and Leather
For a look that’s both elegant and comfortable, pair combat boots with a soft silk or satin midi skirt. At work, add an extra layer with a cozy knit sweater on top. Then, transition your ensemble to suit an evening event by adding a denim or leather jacket and some gold accessories.
If skirts aren’t your thing, you can wear a silk button-up shirt or blouse with a pair of trousers and combat boots for an outfit that’s both office-appropriate and restaurant-ready.
Add a Blazer
When you want to go from brunch to the boardroom, wear a pair of combat boots with a sleek blazer and well-tailored pants. This combination of edgy and professional accessories will not only turn heads but make it easy to go from day to night.
Opt for an oversized blazer for a more modern feel, ensuring you look chic while rocking your favorite combat boots to prioritize your comfort.
Choose a Classic Color
If you’re looking for a pair of combat boots that you can wear to work just as easily as you can during a night out, opt for a classic color, like black leather or suede.
This makes it easier for you to feel like your boots are work-appropriate while also being easy to match with your favorite bar-ready jumpsuit. You may also be able to wear them with a greater variety of outfits, ensuring you get the most out of these classic shoes.
Seasonal Styles: Combat Boots for Different Weather Conditions
Boots are no longer for just the fall and winter. The same goes for combat boots. Wear them 365 days of the year to add visual interest to your outfits, support your feet, and make an entrance.
- Spring styling – As spring is in full bloom, weather patterns can be a little unpredictable, so opting for boots that are both durable and trendy is the way to go. Rain or shine, combat boots will help you showcase your personal style, while capitalizing on the latest fashion trends. Plus, their sleek look makes them easy to wear with your favorite spring colors and prints.
- Summer looks – If you’re headed to an outdoor concert or plan on meeting up with friends at the park, adding combat boots to a pair of denim cutoffs or a summer dress can easily elevate your look. These kicks can also help you stay prepared for whatever summer adventures lie ahead, no matter the terrain.
- Fall flair – Fall is the season of fun layers, so whether you’re wearing a classic trench coat, a sweater and a denim jacket, cargo pants, or a head-to-toe leather look, complete your ensemble with a pair of combat boots. For warm fall days and cool autumn nights, they’ll keep you chic and comfortable from morning ‘til night.
- Winter warmth – Since their lace-up style allows for adjustable sizing, combat boots have plenty of room for layering thick wool socks for additional warmth during the cold winter months. Their rubber soles provide traction in slick, wet conditions, and some styles are even waterproof for added peace of mind.
Formal Affairs: Incorporating Combat Boots into Dressier Outfits
Just because you’re headed to a formal event doesn’t mean you can’t accessorize with a chunky combat boot. Whether you’re going to the ballet or an upscale party, adding combat boots to your ensemble can give your look an edge while still ensuring you meet the dress code.
The keys to donning your boots with a more formal ensemble are subtlety and quality.
For a black-tie event, go with dark colors like brown or black boots. You can’t go wrong with leather—just make sure it’s polished and in shiny shape before you hit the dance floor. Combat boots like our Lani Lace-up Boot pair well with bodycon dresses, floral dresses and skirts, and khaki cargo pants.
Find the Perfect Pair of Combat Boots at Vionic
No matter the occasion, a pair of combat boots can help you level up your look and add an essence of cool to any ensemble. Versatile and durable, they’re a great addition to your outfit regardless of the season, so make sure to check them out when you’re looking for weather-resistant shoes for women.
Whether you’re off to brunch with friends, a formal event, or another day at the office, a combat boots outfit can keep you looking stylish while staying comfortable. At Vionic, we know you shouldn’t have to sacrifice your foot health to elevate your look, which is why all of our boots, shoes, and sandals are designed with orthotic best practices at the center.
When you’re ready to put your best foot forward, browse our selection of comfortable boots for women to find the next must-have pair for everyday wear.
Garmont Tactical. History of Combat Boots in Military. https://garmonttactical.com/post/history-of-combat-boots-in-military.html