Pregnancy can bring on many different changes to your body and brain. From pickle and ice cream cravings to morning sickness, everyone has a unique experience. But one common occurrence for pregnant women is swollen feet and ankles or “edema.” This can be an uncomfortable experience and can interfere with life’s daily activities. Learn about some natural remedies to help reduce swollen feet while pregnant.
- Epsom bath water soak. Draw a warm bath for a relaxing end to your day.
- Elevation. Sit back in a comfortable chair and prop up your feet.
- Wear comfortable shoes. Shoes with good arch support or orthotic inserts will help you step through the day.
- Perform yoga or light exercise. Get your blood pumping and increase your circulation.
- Drink more water. This will help you stay hydrated and reduce your sodium intake.
- Compression. Adding compression can help remove excess fluids that cause swelling. Try wearing compression socks.
- Ice your feet. According to podiatrist Dr. Jackie Sutera, a cold application can reduce swelling.
Since swelling means less wiggle room, it may be time to buy a different size shoe. Read our tips for finding the perfect fit.