Your feet go through a lot. Believe it or not, the majority of Americans will log almost 75,000 miles on their feet by age 50, according to the American Podiatric Medical Association. And if you exercise regularly, that number goes up even more. The experts at Vionic Shoes have come up with five quick tips for protecting your tootsies and helping you stay on your feet for many years to come.
- Stretch your feet daily. Yes, your feet! Just like any other part of your body, the muscles in your feet greatly benefit from massage and stretching to keep the tendons, muscles and ligaments flexible and loose. Aim to massage your feet daily using either a tennis ball or foam roller, being sure to focus on the arch and any sore spots.
- Be cautious of your flip flops. Summer is unofficially flip flop season, but most flip flops lack the necessary arch support to keep your feet healthy. Sports Physical Therapist and Vionic Innovation Lab expert, Brian Hoke, suggests looking for styles that have a footbed with built-in orthotic technology that mimics the natural alignment of your feet, such as the Tide II Toe Post Sandal from Vionic shoes.
- Don’t forget the sunscreen! If your summer vacation plans include frequent trips to the beach, pack plenty of sunscreen and apply liberally to your feet throughout the day. An often overlooked body part, the sensitive skin on your feet is especially susceptible to the sun’s harmful rays.
- Make sure the shoe fits. This may seem painfully obvious, but for some people with ill-fitting shoes, it’s just downright painful. Plus, wearing the wrong-sized shoes over a prolonged period can lead to major foot and lower-body ailments down the road. Find out how to get the perfect fit every time with Vionic Fit & Feel experts, Sean Hartford and Aliké Boggan.
- Choose footwear that promotes natural alignment. Research suggests that shoes with proper arch support may provide short-term relief of moderate non-traumatic common aches and pains, including plantar fasciitis, knee pain and back pain. Check out vionicshoes.com for sandals, wedges, walking shoes and more, all designed to hug your arches and support your feet in comfort and style.