Do you spend your time at work standing on your feet and running from one task to the next only to come home and find your legs and feet are sore and aching? You’re not alone! Standing on your feet for work can place pressure on your feet and without the right standing shoes for work, you’ll be left feeling the foot pain of unsupportive footwear long after you’ve taken your shoes off.
In this guide, we’ll help you find the best work shoes for women and men if you’re standing on your feet all day. No matter your profession, we design comfortable shoe options to support your feet so that you can support your clients, patients, or even passengers and avoid sore feet. From flight attendant shoes to slip resistant shoes for work, we have athletic shoe options that provide the arch support you want to help you get through your day. Explore our exclusive selection of stylish shoes for male teachers and comfortable women’s teacher shoes designed to keep you feeling great throughout your busy day. With us, you are sure to find the best shoes for standing all day at work and start being comfortable with every step as soon as possible. Read on to learn how to find the best standing supportive work shoe.
Best Shoes for Standing On Your Feet
Both men’s and women’s work shoes for standing all day often fall short of the supportive features that the structural elements of your feet need to be properly supported and comfortable on a concrete surface. Your feet have a huge responsibility in helping support and facilitate every stride you take and when they aren’t properly supported, they can’t function at their best. Think of it as being like the first thing in the morning before you’ve had any caffeine and done your normal wake-up routine. If you don’t give yourself the right tools to help wake up and get your day started on the right track, then the rest of your day can suffer as a result. Your feet are the same way and it can take a bit of trial and error to find exactly what works best for your unique foot structure and work environment. But don’t worry, we’re here to help make sure that finding the perfect pair of stylish non-slip shoes is as simple as possible.
Feeling Foot Aches and Pains? Here’s Why
Before you can get to shopping for the right supportive shoes to wear at work, it’s important to take a moment to understand where you may be going wrong with your current pair of rubber outsole shoes and why you’re experiencing sore feet and heel pain. Examining the deficits in your current footwear can help you to find areas where you need specific features so you can avoid the same issues. Below are a few of the common reasons why your current tennis shoe options may not be providing you the support and comfort you need and instead are leaving you feeling residual aches and pains.
- You’re wearing comfortable shoes that don’t fit your feet properly. You may be thinking, “I’ve had the same tennis shoe size since I was a teenager! I know my running shoe size.” Many people don’t realize that their running shoe size can change over time due to aging which causes some ligaments and tendons in feet to loosen, life changes such as pregnancy, and weight fluctuation. There are also a number of different medical conditions that can affect your work shoe size, such as diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis. If your best walking shoes are feeling uncomfortable, it could be because they are the wrong size or you have a wide foot. We recommend getting your feet measured at least once a year to make sure they are fitting correctly to be a good shoe option.
- Your shoes aren’t supporting your arches. When it comes to arches, there is no one-size-fits-all approach. All of us have unique arches that fall into three distinct categories of arch heights: low arches (flat feet), medium arches, or high arches. Depending on your arch height, your foot will be more prone to developing certain foot problems and will require unique support. Your arch is essential to all of your movements and it must be adequately supported to do its job correctly. Did you know your arch bears two hundred thousand to three hundred thousand pounds of stress with every single mile you walk? That’s a huge amount of stress to absorb, especially without proper support. When your arches don’t have the good arch support they need, you can develop a variety of different foot problems that can cause foot and heel pain and overall discomfort. If you’re spending your time at work on your feet, arch support is a must-have.
- You’re choosing shoes that aren’t designed to last or tailored to your activity. We know it can be tempting to buy the cute, cheap shoes that will compliment your outfit even if they’re lacking in the support department, but this can have lasting ramifications that can jeopardize your mobility and comfort. When you’re choosing shoes for standing all day at work, it’s important that they are tailored to the activity you are doing and have the supportive features your feet need to be truly comfortable. That doesn’t mean you need to sacrifice style, but support should be just as important as finding shoes that will look great with your work outfit. Your feet will thank you later!
Now that you know some of the common pitfalls many of us fall into when looking for comfortable shoes for work, we’ll walk you through an easy how-to guide on picking the perfect shoes for standing all day at work.
How to Choose Shoes for Standing All Day
If you feel like the foot health industry doesn’t consider fashion and the fashion industry turns a blind eye to comfort, you are far from alone. Finding shoes to stand in all day that will give your feet the support and comfort they need, without detracting from your style, can feel like an impossible task. Your feet need supportive features and infrastructure to keep your foot properly aligned with your body and supported with every step. We’re here to help make sure you find the perfect shoes for standing all day.
1. Find a brand that considers both style and essential support of a shoe.
You shouldn’t have to choose between style and support, you can have both! To get everything you’re looking for in one pair of shoes, you’ll need to find a brand that bridges the gap between the foot health industry and the fashion industry.
2. Narrow your search to the activity and shoe style you need for work.
Do you spend your day running between clients while doing their hair? If so, then you’ll want a comfortable shoe designed to support activity, like a walking shoe or athletic shoe. Do you need heels that will give you an elegant style while still offering support when you’re standing all day? If so, you’ll need to look for high heels that have supportive features and a thicker heel that will enhance your balance and stability throughout the day. A great dress shoe option with all day support is a pair of wedge heels.
3. Check for supportive features.
Supportive features are going to be a game-changer for your comfort. If you’re standing all day at work, we recommend looking for the below features.
- Durability: Even if you’re only standing at work, it’s still vital to make sure you invest in shoes that will be durable, wear evenly, and last for an extended period of time on those concrete floors.
- Heel and Arch Support: No matter what job you are doing, heel and arch support are essential for shoes that you will be standing all day in. Heel and arch support will help improve your balance, relieve foot pain and strain (such as plantar fasciitis) and help evenly distribute pressure across your feet.
- Sole Cushioning: If you’re standing in your shoes all day, we know that one of your top concerns will be how comfortable they are. One of the key features for long-lasting comfort is sole cushioning (similar to a foam insole). Think of a cushioned insole or gel cushioning as clouds for your feet and never skip this extra cushioning feature!
- Lightweight Construction: If you’re standing on your feet all day, it’s important that you are decreasing extra pressure on your feet whenever possible..A dress shoe with a lightweight construction and shock absorption will be easier on your feet and will prevent you from having to carry around the excess weight on your feet.
4. Make sure the great shoe fits your style. Once you’ve found a brand that aligns with what you’re looking for, narrowed your search to the activity, and verified you have all the supportive features your feet need, the final step is to make sure you feel comfortable with the style of the shoes and will feel comfortable wearing them for long hours every day on those concrete floors. If they don’t feel like you love them, keep looking. From women’s athletic sneakers to men’s dress shoes, there are many different walking shoe options out there and you deserve shoes you love!
Now that you’re an expert on how to find standing shoes for work, we wanted to introduce you to a few of our great shoe picks for both men and women for standing shoes for work.
Vionic Footwear for All-Day Comfort
We’re committed to helping you find the perfect pair of standing shoes for work, no matter what career you’re in! From shoes for hairstylists to teachers, we’ve got you covered. Check out all of our supportive footwear to find the right shoe in your favorite style. If simply interested in arch support inserts, check out our related post for the best shoe inserts for standing all day at work and our line of orthotic inserts for arch support.