Do you spend your time at work standing on your feet and running from one task to the next only to come home and find your legs and feet are sore and aching? You’re not alone! We know that standing on your feet for work can place pressure on your feet and without the right standing shoes for work, you’ll be left feeling the consequences of unsupportive footwear long after you’ve taken your shoes off. It can be a challenge to find trusted information outside of the foot health industry and to determine what type of shoe will be functional for your work environment while providing your feet with the support they need to be truly comfortable, even after a long day of standing. We’ve done the research for you so that you don’t need to spend hours on end sifting through conflicting information. Instead, you have one comprehensive guide that will give you all of the ins and outs of the best work shoes for standing on your feet all day so that you can find your perfect pair and start being comfortable with every step as soon as possible. At Vionic, we believe that you deserve to look and feel great in any pair of shoes you are wearing and we are committed to helping you find the perfect pair of shoes for standing all day at work. We even have special shoes for teachers and shoes for nurses.
We not only want to help you find the best shoes for standing on concrete and other unforgiving, man-made surfaces during a long day at work, we have earned a place in the industry as a trusted resource that has decided shoe stylists, foot doctors, and research teams to design and develop comfortable shoes for standing at work that meets every style need while also having cutting-edge orthotic technology built-in. As you read through our guide, we’ll educate you on why your current shoes may not be meeting your needs, how to choose the best shoes for standing at work all day, and our top picks for the best shoes for standing on your feet (no matter what style you need).
Best Shoes for Standing On Your Feet
Both men’s and women’s work shoes for standing all day often fall short of the supportive features that the structural elements of your feet need to be properly supported and comfortable. Your feet have a huge responsibility in helping support and facilitate every stride you take and when they aren’t properly supported, they can’t function at their best. Think of it as being like first thing in the morning before you’ve had any caffeine and done your normal wake-up routine. If you don’t give yourself the right tools to help wake up and get your day started on the right track, then the rest of your day can suffer as a result. Your feet are the same way and it can take a bit of trial and error to find exactly what works best for your unique foot structure and work environment. But don’t worry, we’re here to help make sure finding the perfect pair of stylish non-slip shoes is as simple a process as possible.
Feeling Aches and Pains? Exploring Why Your Current Shoes Aren’t Cutting It
Before you can get to shopping for the right supportive shoes to wear at work, it’s important to take a moment to understand where you may be going wrong with your current pair of shoes. Examining the deficits in your current footwear can help you to find the areas where you need more knowledge and understanding and hone the specific features you need to be looking for in your next pair of shoes to make sure you don’t have the same issues. Below are a few of the common reasons why your current shoes may not be providing you the support and comfort you need and instead are leaving you feeling residual aches and pains.
- You’re wearing shoes that don’t fit your feet properly. You may be thinking, “I’ve had the same shoe size since I was a teenager! I know my shoe size.” Many people don’t realize that your shoe size can change over time due to aging which causes some ligaments and tendons in your feet to loosen, life changes such as pregnancy, and weight fluctuation which can also affect your shoe size. There are also a number of different medical conditions that can affect your shoe size, such as diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis. If your shoes are feeling uncomfortable, it could be because they are the wrong size. We recommend getting your feet measured at least once a year to make sure they are fitting correctly.
- Your shoes aren’t supporting your arches. When it comes to arches, there is no one-size-fits-all approach. All of us have unique arches that fall into three distinct categories of arch heights: low arches, medium arches, or high arches. Depending on your arch height, your foot will be more prone to developing certain foot problems and will require unique support. Your arch is essential to all of your movements and it must be adequately supported to do its job correctly. Did you know your arch bears two hundred thousand to three hundred thousand pounds of stress with every single mile you walk? That’s a huge amount of stress to absorb, especially without proper support. When your arches don’t have the good arch support they need, you can develop a variety of different foot problems that can cause foot and heel pain and overall discomfort. If you’re spending your time at work on your feet, arch support is a must-have.
- You’re choosing shoes that aren’t designed to last or tailored to your activity. We know it can be tempting to buy the cute, cheap shoes that will compliment your outfit even if they’re lacking in the support department, but this can have lasting ramifications that can jeopardize your mobility and comfort. When you’re choosing shoes for standing all day at work, it’s important that they are tailored to the activity you are doing and have the supportive features your feet need to be truly comfortable. That doesn’t mean you need to sacrifice style, but support should be just as important as finding shoes that will look great with your work outfit. Your feet will thank you later!
Now that you know some of the common pitfalls many of us fall into when selecting shoes for standing at work, we want to walk you through an easy how-to guide on picking the perfect shoes for standing all day at work.
Choosing the Perfect Shoes for Standing All Day: An Easy How-To
If you feel like the foot health industry doesn’t consider fashion and the fashion industry turns a blind eye to comfort, you are far from alone. Finding shoes to stand in all day that will give your feet the support and comfort they need, without detracting from your style, can feel like an impossible task. Your feet need supportive features and infrastructure to keep your foot properly aligned with your body and supported with every step. We’re here to help make sure you find the perfect shoes for standing all day. Below is our how-to guide for finding the supportive shoes you need.
- Find a brand that considers both style and support essential parts of a great shoe. You shouldn’t have to choose between style and support, you can have both! To get everything you’re looking for in one pair of shoes, you’ll need to find a brand that bridges the gap between the foot health industry and the fashion industry.
- Narrow your search to the activity and shoe style you need for work. Do you spend your day running between clients while doing their hair? If so, then you’ll want a comfortable shoe designed to support activity, like a walking shoe. Do you need heels that will give you an elegant style while still offering support when you’re standing all day? If so, you’ll need to look for high heels that have supportive features and a thicker heel that will enhance your balance and stability throughout the day.
- Check for supportive features. Supportive features are going to be a game changer for your comfort. If you’re standing all day at work, we recommend looking for the below features.
- Durability: Even if you’re only standing at work, it’s still vital to make sure you invest in shoes that will be durable, wear evenly, and last for an extended period of time.
- Heel and Arch Support: No matter what job you are doing, heel and arch support are essential for shoes that you will be standing all day. Heel and arch support will help improve your balance, relieve foot pain and strain (such as plantar fasciitis) and help evenly distribute pressure across your feet.
- Sole Cushioning: If you’re standing in your shoes all day, we know that one of your top concerns will be how comfortable they are. One of the key features for long-lasting comfort is sole cushioning (similar to a foam insole). Think of sole or gel cushioning as clouds for your feet and never skip this feature!
- Lightweight Construction: If you’re standing on your feet all day, it’s important that you are decreasing extra pressure on your feet whenever possible. Shoes with a lightweight construction and shock absorption will be easier on your feet and will prevent you from having to carry around the excess weight on your feet.
- Make sure they fit your style. Once you’ve found a brand that aligns with what you’re looking for, narrowed your search to the activity, and verified you have all the supportive features your feet need, the final step is to make sure you feel comfortable with the style of the shoes and will feel comfortable wearing them for long hours every day. If they don’t feel like you love them, keep looking. There are many different options out there and you deserve shoes you love!
Now that you’re an expert on how to find standing shoes for work, we wanted to introduce you to a few of our top picks for both men and women for standing shoes for work.
Our Top Picks for Standing Shoes For Work (For Every Occasion!)
Whether you’re looking for a more casual style shoe or something a bit more formal, we have you covered! Below are a few of our top picks for shoes that will keep you comfortable when you’re standing in them for long hours without sacrificing the style you love. We’ve broken them down by styles for men and women.
Kaufman Casual Sneaker
If you’re looking for the perfect blend of casual and classy, the Kaufman casual sneaker has you covered. With a weather-resistant leather upper, an adjustable side strap, and minimalist side stitching, the Kaufman will give any outfit an effortless cool. With our Vio Motion Support and Orthaheel Technology built-in, you’ll be comfortable even after standing for hours at work.
Mia Block Heel
If you need a more formal heel for long days at work, take a look at our Mia block heel. Designed for the modern woman on the go, the Mia gives you elegant style with advanced comfort features to keep your feet comfortable with every step.
Brody Leather Sneaker
If you’re looking for shoes to work that will keep you looking modern and classically tailored, the Brody leather sneaker may be the perfect fit for you. With soft leather uppers, twin fore panels for added comfort, and different color options, this ultra-comfy low-profile sneaker will give you comfort and flexibility all day long.
Chase Chukka Boot
Looking for an all-occasion shoe that you can wear comfortably during long days at work? The Chase chukka boots have a two-tone heel and supple, weather-treated suede or leather to keep you looking classically cool with every step. With a durable rubber outsole and superior orthotic support built-in (similar to that of orthotic inserts), you’ll experience unparalleled comfort in these dressy work boots.
We’re committed to helping you find the perfect pair of standing shoes for work, no matter what career you’re in! From shoes for hairstylists to teachers, we’ve got you covered. Check out all of our supportive footwear to find your perfect match. If simply interested in shoe inserts, check out our related post for the best shoe inserts for standing all day at work and our line of orthotic inserts for arch support.